News Talk 650 CKOM
Saskatoon's Number One News and Information Station - News, Talk, Sports, Traffic, and Weather
Updated: 27 min 59 sec ago
On Saturday the Saskatchewan government announced four new confirmed cases of COVID-19, three in the far north region and one in Regina. Currently, three people are being treated in the hospital. Two people are receiving inpatient care and one person is in intensive care in Saskatoon. Since Friday ten more people have recovered from COVID-19 bringing the total to 580, meaning there are 55 active cases which is the lowest amount since April. Saskatchewan has had a total of 645 confirmed cases including: 142 cases are travellers 379 are community contacts (including mass gatherings) 76 have no known exposures 48 are under investigation by local public health. Since the start of the pandemic, Saskatchewan has conducted 47,114 COVID-19 tests. Earlier on Saturday, the Saskatchewan Health Authority announced an outbreak at the Lloydminster hospital is over.
Canadian golf trailblazer Lorie Kane has spent the week thinking about everyone that came before her. Kane's been given cause to reflect since she was one of six athletes named to the 2020 class of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame on Wednesday, earning her induction after four wins on the LPGA Tour. She's also been an inspiration to later generations of Canadian golfers, something that she finds very fulfilling. "I'm proud to think that I did something to help move Canadian golf," said Kane from her home in Charlottetown. "I just think I was doing what everybody else had shown me to do, and they may not have gotten the recognition that I'm getting. "My parents always taught me to leave it better than I found it so you know that's what I've been trying to do." Kane has the fifth most wins among professional golfers of either gender on a major tour, behind Mike Weir (eight), Sandra Post (eight), George Knudson (eight), and Brooke Henderson (nine). An ambassador of the sport who has competed in the CP Women's Open 29 times, Kane has been an inspiration for many Canadian golfers, including current LPGA members like Henderson and Alena Sharp. Kane points to her predecessors as her own inspiration, however. "I think we can draw the same line going backwards from me to Sandra Post, Jocelyne Bourassa, Dawn Coe-Jones, Lisa Walters, Gail Graham, Nancy Harvey all of the all of the women that came before me even," said Kane. "I think I got lucky to join the LPGA Tour when I did in the late 90s. "I got lucky that I was trending in the right direction as the sport was trending in the right direction." Basketball player Steve Nash, track and field athlete Diane Jones-Konihowski, wheelchair curler Sonja Gaudet, the horse-and-rider team of Eric Lamaze and Hickstead, and power lifter John (Jackie) Barrett were the other athletes announced for induction on Wednesday. Mohawk lacrosse player and coach Ross Powless, wheelchair rugby founder and player Duncan Campbell and Commonwealth Games leader Judy Kent and hockey player Willie O'Ree and Sheldon Kennedy were named as builders. Kane is also pleased to be one of the few inductees from Prince Edward Island. "We're a very talented group of people that, we just do what we do," said Kane. "I'm really happy that I can go in and be from Prince Edward Island and take the honour on behalf of the province and all of the great athletes, entertainers, and people from here." This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020. ___ Follow @jchidleyhill on Twitter John Chidley-Hill, The Canadian Press
CAMPBELLTON, N.B. - Public Health officials in New Brunswick are reporting one new case of COVID-19 Saturday in the Campbellton area in the province's north. It is the ninth case in the area in just over a week after a health-care professional, who contracted the coronavirus outside the province, didn't self-isolate after he returned to New Brunswick. The new case, which is under investigation, is an individual in their 70s. To date, there have been 129 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New Brunswick and 120 people have recovered from the illness. Three people are hospitalized and there are no patients in intensive care. Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell says everyone must be vigilant and self monitor for symptoms, regardless if they have been recently tested for COVID-19. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020. The Canadian Press
TORONTO - Jozy Altidore is taking part in a different type of friendly on Monday. The Toronto FC striker is joining forces with Toronto Ultra pro gamer Cameron (Cammy) McKilligan, "American Idol" runner-up Alejandro Aranda and Kevin Truong, head of esports and gaming at the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation, in "Call of Duty" video game play to raise money for COVID-19 relief. Team Cammy will face Team Methodz, led by Toronto Ultra's Anthony (Methodz) Zinni. He is joined by "Grown-ish" actor Trevor Jackson, Canadian video gamer and YouTube personality Jaren (SMii7Y) Smith and Stephen Wu, esports and gaming co-ordinator at the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation. The Call of Duty Warzone Friendly Series will take place Monday and Wednesday at 7 p.m. on Toronto Ultra's YouTube and Twitch channels. Teams will compete in as many matches as possible in 90 minutes. Viewers will be encouraged to donate to the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation's Conquer COVID for Cancer Fund. The Toronto Ultra are the lone Canadian franchise in the 12-team Call of Duty League, which includes nine Americans squads and teams in London and Paris with a US$6-million prize pool in 2020. The Ultra are part of OverActive Media, which also owns the Toronto Defiant of the Overwatch League and other esports teams. Altidore joins Maple Leafs forward Mitch Marner and Malcolm Miller of the Raptors in gaming for a good cause. They played in a Warzone tournament in April. The powerful U.S. international forward is no stranger to gaming. At 17, he was on the North American cover of "FIFA Soccer 08." This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020. --- Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press
VIENNA - The Austrian Health Ministry has approved safety conditions for Austria to host two Formula One Grand Prix races in July. The first 10 races of the season have either been postponed or cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic, but F1 could finally return with back-to-back races at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg on July 5 and 12. Health Minister Rudolf Anschober approved the safety plans for the double-header without spectators and with limited numbers of people involved. "As well as strict hygiene measures, the concept foresees regular testing and health checks for the teams and all of the other employees, and also a concrete medical concept," Anschober said Saturday in a statement. "For the Ministry of Health, and following a detailed review by in-house experts, the concept meets the requirements for preventing the spread of the coronavirus. The decisive factor is the close co-ordination between the organizer and the regional and local health authorities." F1 organizers still hope to hold 15-18 of the 22 scheduled races. The Australian GP, the Monaco GP, the French GP and the Netherlands GP have all been cancelled. ___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Associated Press
The Saskatchewan Health Authority has declared that the COVID-19 outbreak at the Lloydminster Hospital is over. Medical Health Officer Dr. Mandiangu Nsungu made the call after the standard 28 days passed since the last case. Visitor restrictions remain in effect. “The public is reminded that everyone needs to continue to take precautions to protect themselves, their families and everyone who lives in the community,” says a news release from the SHA. “Physical distancing is something that everyone needs to be doing all the time, every time, to reduce the spread of COVID-19.” The health authority is also reminding people to follow guidelines for hand washing, social distancing and self-isolation.
TORONTO - A rally is set to take place in Toronto today in protest of what organizers describe as anti-black and anti-Indigenous racism around the world. The protest, organized by a group dubbed Not Another Black Life, comes on the heels of high-profile, police-involved deaths in both Canada and the United States. A Minnesota police officer is now facing a murder charge in the death of George Floyd, a black man caught on film pleading for air as an officer knelt on his neck. And Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is looking into the death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, who fell from the balcony of a 24th-floor Toronto apartment while police were in the home on Wednesday. A lawyer representing Korchinski-Paquet's family says her relatives do not want to see violence, only answers as to how and why she died. In a statement released Saturday, lawyer Knia Singh says the family did not organize or plan the protest. The family says it thanks organizers for bringing attention to a "very serious matter." Toronto Mayor John Tory called the community's anger over her death understandable, describing anti-black racism as "a fact in our society" and encouraging protesters gathering this afternoon to practice physical distancing in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020. The Canadian Press
OTTAWA - The United Nations has confirmed that the election for non-permanent seats on the Security Council - which pits Canada against Norway and Ireland - will take place in June under unprecedented new rules to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The 193 ambassadors will cast their votes on behalf of their countries in a secret ballot with the three candidates vying for two available temporary seats on the UN's most powerful body. But the vote won't take place during a full meeting of the General Assembly because New York has become the epicentre of the COVID-19 outbreak and that has forced UN diplomats to work from home and rely on videoconferencing. Instead, the ambassadors will be notified in advance to come to a designated venue at UN headquarters - a staggered, solitary procession that will see the world's leading diplomats presenting their UN security passes and then being given paper ballots. The ambassadors will be assigned different time slots to come to the UN to cast their ballots to avoid a mass gathering during the pandemic. The details were released in a memo that has been under consideration by the UN ambassadors for more than a week, and that carried a Friday-night deadline to reach a consensus. "Enabling the (General Assembly) to carry out its essential duties is one of my top priorities during this challenging time," Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, the Nigerian diplomat currently serving as the president of the General Assembly, said in a tweet on Friday night. Marc-Andre Blanchard, Canada's ambassador to the UN, said the country is ready for a June vote if it can be done in a safe way and carried out with respect for UN voting rules. "This is uncharted territory. This has never been done," Blanchard said in a recent interview. "We need to make sure the institutions are actually adapted to this reality," he added. "This is not a military war we are facing. It's a health-care crisis and the biggest economic and financial crisis that we have seen since 1929." The vote was originally set for June 17. The new rules do not specify exactly when the ballot will occur, other than sometime in the month. Two of the competing countries will need at least 128 votes each, or two-thirds support of the assembly, to win a two year-term that would begin next year. That could mean multiple rounds of voting. Blanchard said he expected the race to be hotly contested in the "Western European and Others Group," the most competitive of the UN's geographic blocs, where Canada faces formidable opponents. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been courting the support of large voting blocs in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean because European countries are expected to rally around Norway and Ireland. This past week, Trudeau co-hosted a major UN meeting on rebuilding the global economy after the pandemic. Canada is running on a platform of trying to help rebuild the post-pandemic world. In a joint press video press conference with Trudeau, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres tacitly endorsed Canada's ability to convene larger groups of countries to serve the greater international good - a key plank in Canada's platform for the council. Blanchard wouldn't say how much support Canada has been able to garner, but the secret balloting process in the UN has been notorious for deception that has seen countries promise support but take it away when an ambassador casts his or her secret vote. Blanchard said Canada's campaign for the council rests on what it has been doing to help fight the pandemic. That includes convening like-minded countries to ensure food security in developing countries, keeping vital supply chains open across the globe, and working on new financing models to help struggling countries whose economies have been devastated by the pandemic. "In other parts of the world, one of the biggest threats is access to food at this time of pandemic when the supply chain is disrupted, where there's no transportation," said Blanchard. Canada hopes to bridge the differences on the security council - where permanent members Russia and China have been at odds with the U.S., Britain and France - by proposing they all work together towards a common good: the need to elevate economic conditions in all countries after the pandemic. Canada lost its last bid for a security council seat in 2010 when tiny Portugal won more support. Canada had previously served six stints on the council, one each in the six previous decades. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020. Mike Blanchfield, The Canadian Press
OAKLAND, Calif. - A federal contract security officer was killed and another injured in a shooting outside the U.S. courthouse in Oakland, the FBI said Saturday. A vehicle pulled up outside the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building at about 9:45 p.m. Friday and someone opened fire at the contract security officers who worked for the Federal Protective Service of the Department of Homeland Security, authorities said. The identities of the officers were not released and there was no word on the condition of the wounded officer. The officers protect federal court houses as part of their regular duties. The shooting happened less than a half-mile from the Oakland Police headquarters where demonstrators gathered to protest the police killing of George Floyd in Minnesota. Some demonstrators smashed windows, vandalized stores stopped traffic on a freeway and set fires. Police said several officers were struck by objects and responded by firing tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd. The federal building's glass doors were smashed and the front entrance was sprayed with anti-police graffiti. The Associated Press
Saskatoon police arrested a 20-year-old man and a 22-year-old man after they ran from the scene of a suspicious fire. Firefighters responded to the fire on the 200 block of Avenue L South around 11:30 p.m. Friday. The building was fully involved when they arrived and was brought under control in 15 minutes. A fire investigator determined the fire was intentionally set. It caused approximately $8,000 in damage. Saskatoon police charged the 20-year-old with arson and failing to comply with a court order. The 22-year-old faces arson and possession of a controlled substance charges.