The constable with Swift Current Combined Traffic Services and 15 years of experience is charged with impaired driving.
A Saskatchewan RCMP officer is facing impaired driving charges following two incidents earlier this week.
EDMONTON — The head of the Alberta Medical Association says he has significant concerns with the province's decision to suspend almost all of its COVID-19 public health protocols. In an open letter to members, Paul Boucher says the pace at which the United Conservative government is ending restrictions is troubling. He says the government should release the data on which the decision was made. Boucher adds the government's planned reliance on hospitalization data and monitoring wastewater for viruses isn't likely to provide enough information on the spread of COVID-19, especially as new variants take over. The letter says easing back restrictions more slowly would be safer, easier on the health care system and cause less public worry. Boucher says Alberta will eventually have to move away from pandemic measures, but concludes the government is doing so too quickly. "The pace at which public health measures are ending is troubling," he writes. "I do not disagree that moving from pandemic state to endemic state is the future but would strongly advocate for a less precipitous approach." Boucher says he has shared his concerns with the province. This week, Alberta announced that close contacts of people who test positive for COVID-19 are no longer legally required to isolate, nor are they notified by contact tracers. As of Aug. 16, infected individuals won't need to isolate. Testing will also be curtailed. The moves come as the province's active case numbers and infection rate increases. The lifting of Alberta's restrictions has been viewed with concern by other top doctors. Canada's Chief Medical Officer of Health Theresa Tam has warned against opening too quickly. The Canadian Pediatric Society has written to her Alberta counterpart Dr. Deena Hinshaw urging her to reconsider. This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2021. The Canadian Press
TORONTO — Teoscar Hernandez and Bo Bichette homered to help the Blue Jays celebrate their first game in Toronto in 670 days with a 6-4 victory over the Kansas City Royals on Friday. Leading 3-2, the Jays (52-48) loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh against hard-throwing Domingo Tapia, scoring one when Marcus Semien hit into a double play. Bichette then hit his 19th homer of the season to right-centre field to add two more runs. The Royals (45-57) added an unearned run in the eighth, taking advantage of a Bichette throwing error, and another run in the ninth. The Jays ended it on a dazzling bare-handed catch by third baseman Santiago Espinal. Hernandez gave the Rogers Centre crowd of 13,446 — considered a sellout under current COVID-19 restrictions — something to celebrate early, crushing a solo home run 441 feet to left field to open the second inning. His 16th homer of the season was clocked at 112 m.p.h. George Springer doubled home another run in the inning for a 2-0 Jays lead. A Bichette single, stolen base and Lourdes Gurriel Jr., single made it 3-0 in the third. Jays right-hander Ross Stripling (4-6) gave up just a double and a walk in his first four innings. But the Royals cut the lead to 3-1 in the fifth on Nicky Lopez's RBI triple. Kansas City catcher Salvador Perez hit a solo homer with one out in the sixth, ending Stripling's night after 76 pitches (47 strikes). He gave up four hits and two walks, striking out one. It was the 26th homer of the season for Perez, who has homered in each of the last three games. Rookie left-hander Daniel Lynch (1-3) went six innings for the Royals, giving up three runs on seven hits. Brad Hand came on in the eighth for his Blue Jays debut with Canadian Jordan Romano pitching the ninth for his ninth save of the season. Toronto outhit Kansas City 10-7. The Jays' last game at Rogers Centre was Sept. 29, 2019, when they finished out their season with an 8-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays. Toronto went 83-76 on the road since then, forced south of the border due to pandemic-related travel restrictions. "I've felt an incredible amount of energy from it, from just coming here," GM Ross Atkins said before the game when asked about the homecoming. "Really the biggest things is how excited I am for our young players to feel things I've experienced here in this stadium, in this city, in this country. And what that means for our future." "I don't know the right words to express (it) but it's an incredibly gratifying feeling to be here today," he added. The return home came in game No. 100 of the season for the Jays. It marked the longest away run in Major League Baseball history. The Marlins went 327 days between the end of 2019 and their delayed 2020 home opener. The Jays came into the game having won two of their last three after losing five of the previous six. The Royals, who lost 11 in a row in May, had won eight of their last nine, including the last two. The enthusiastic crowd made its presence felt, despite the limit on attendance. "They'll be loud enough for us," Jays manager Charlie Montoyo said before the game. He was right. The Toronto players emerged before the game from an opening in centre field to a thunderous standing ovation, running through a flag-bearing honour guard with the Rogers Centre roof open. A loud chant of "Let's Go Blue Jays" followed as the players lined the infield which was adorned with huge letters spelling out the word Home. The crowd roared when Stripling fired a 90 m.p.h fastball for a strike to open proceedings. And it sounded like a jet engine in welcoming Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to the plate, building to an MVP chant. Still the fans showed some rust, needing several attempts to get the wave going. Montoyo was beaming at being back home, despite not walking through the door until 4 a.m. after the flight back from Boston. "I just walked here today," he said. "I couldn't really sleep because I had so many people texting about (trade) moves and stuff" "Nothing against the fans that we had in Dunedin and in Buffalo, they were great. But it's nothing like being in Toronto," he added. Toronto strengthened its starting rotation Friday by acquiring right-hander Jose Berrios from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for two top prospects: infielder Austin Martin and right-hander Simeon Woods Richardson. Berrios, a two-time all-star, is 7-5 with an earned-run-average of 3.48 in 20 starts this season. Later in the day, the Jays acquired veteran reliever Joakim Soria from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange fortwo players to be named later. The Jays are the first team to play home games in three different cities in the same season (Dunedin, Buffalo, Toronto) since 1903, when both the Cleveland Naps and the Detroit Tigers did it. Toronto set up shop in Buffalo, its minor-league affiliate, for last year's condensed 60-game schedule and started this year's campaign in Dunedin, Fla., its spring training home, before moving back to Buffalo. Eight players on the Jays active roster had never played at Rogers Centre. Another six were set to make their debut here as a Blue Jay. The 11-game homestand, which also includes series against Cleveland and Boston, was made possible by the granting of a National Interest Exemption that allows players and staff who aren't fully vaccinated to cross the border with a modified quarantine. Major League Soccer and its three Canadian teams have been granted the same exemption. The Jays arrived home on a winning note, having battered Boston 13-1 Thursday. Guerrero led the way with his 33rd homer of the season, a blast that cleared the Green Monster and exited the ballpark. Jays ace Hyun Jin Ryu held Boston to two hits over six innings. In their long-awaited home debut, the Jays hosted staff from Toronto General Hospital’s intensive care unit. The club will host “Frontline Champions” and guests in a dedicated section for each game of the first homestand. The club also honoured a COVID-19 survivor and a Toronto Transit employee representing " the thousands of Canadian workers that bravely showed up to their jobs to help our community so that others could stay home." Forte, Toronto gay men’s chorus, performed the anthems with 250 members of the military unfurling a giant Canadian flag. --- Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2021 Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press
TOKYO — Kylie Masse has won her second medal of the Tokyo Olympics with a silver medal in the women's 200-metre backstroke. The 25-year-old from LaSalle, Ont., finished in two minutes 5.42 seconds on Saturday — behind Kaylee McKeown (2:04.68) and ahead of Emily Seebohm (2:06.17), both of Australia. The Canadian women's swim team has generated five medals in Tokyo, including Masse's other silver in the 100-metre backstroke on Tuesday. "I know I have high expectations of myself, but I'm really happy to have gotten on the podium a second time at an Olympic Games," Masse said. She has a chance at a third medal as she's expected to swim the backstroke leg of the women's medley relay on Sunday. Masse (pronounced Moss) led at 150 metres in the 200, but was caught at the wall by McKeown. "I knew it was going to come down to the last bit," Masse said. "I think maybe from how I felt, my stroke rate maybe slowed down a bit at the end. "I'll have to look back on the race and talk to the coaches, but that was a best time for me, a Canadian record, so I have to be pleased with that." Masse's Canadian teammate Taylor Ruck of Kelowna, B.C., finished sixth with a time of 2:08.24. This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2021. Donna Spencer, The Canadian Press
A statement of defence has been filed by woman being sued for defamation over allegations posted online alleging harassment during a promotional video shoot in Saskatoon
TORONTO — The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Ondrej Kase to a one-year contract worth US$1.25 million. The 25-year-old Kase became available when free agency officially opened Wednesday after the Boston Bruins declined issuing him a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent. The Maple Leafs made the announcement on Friday. Kase scored a career high 20 goals and 38 points in 66 games with the Anaheim Ducks in 2017-18, but has struggled with injuries and had recently been sidelined for an extended period of time. A series of concussions limited Kase to playing just nine games for Boston — and just three this past season — after a trade to the Bruins that sent David Backes to the Ducks in February 2020. Kase, from the Czech Republic, was drafted by Anaheim in the seventh round, 205th overall, in 2014 and has produced 43 goals and 97 points in 207 career games split between the Ducks and Bruins. --- This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2021. The Canadian Press
Saskatoon physiotherapist Bruce Craven has worked with athletes at every Olympics and Paralympics since 1992.
The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced the final roster Friday afternoon, ahead of next week’s season opener.
Now that the Fringe Festival has kicked off, artists are thrilled to be back on the stage and the streets after more than a year of uncertainty and cancelled shows.
Dr. Brian Conway, medical director of Vancouver Infectious Diseases Centre, said an endemic infection is one that still needs to be dealt with on an ongoing basis.
WATCH: Officials are starting to describe COVID-19 as becoming endemic, a word many may be unfamiliar with and wonder what it means for the future of the virus. Kelly Skjerven reports.
With cancellation of daily Sask. COVID-19 summary, people will have to 'go looking' for information: nurses' union
A nurses' union representative says the Government of Saskatchewan's decision to end the practice of distilling and releasing COVID-19 data on a daily basis could create barriers for a public looking to stay informed about the risk posed by the coronavirus.
The 2021 edition of the Saskatchewan Roughriders has now been revealed. The green and white announced its final cuts Friday after CFL training camp ended the day before. It included the release of 18 players, 15 moved to the practice roster and two returning to school. Former first-round NFL pick Paxton Lynch has made the team. Lynch signed with the Roughriders on June 28, 2021. Lynch was taken by the Denver Broncos 26th overall in the 2016 NFL draft but only appeared in four games for the team over two seasons. Lynch joins incumbent starter Cody Fajardo and second-season CFLer Isaac Harker on the team’s active roster as quarterbacks. Quarterback Mason Fine is on the practice roster. Wide receiver Paul McRoberts once again finds himself on the practice roster after another impressive camp in the CFL. The Riders won’t be without Canadian depth at receiver in 2021. Mitch Picton, Brayden Lenius, Justin McInnis, Terrell Jana and Jake Harty all made the roster as Canadian receivers and slotbacks. They will be joined by their American counterparts Shaq Evans, Kyran Moore and Jordan Williams-Lambert. Offensive lineman Logan Ferland has made the active roster after spending 2019 on the practice roster. He is joined by fellow Canadians Mattland Riley, Josiah St. John, Evan Johnson, Dan Clark and Brett Boyko. Tackle Terran Vaughn is the lone American on the active roster. The linebackers will feature returning CFLer Deon Lacey, who played in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins from 2017-19. Also on the roster is AJ Hendy – who had been moved from defensive back to linebacker during training camp – Gary Johnson Jr. and Nigel Harris along with Canadians Micah Teitz, Kevin Francis, Jordan Herdman-Reed, and Justin Herdman-Reed. The defensive end position will feature AC Leonard, in his third season with the green and white. Joining him, and in an effort to replace Charleston Hughes, is Keion Adams, Jonathan Woodard, Pete Robertson and Canadian Jordan Reaves. Inside at defensive tackle is the returning Micah Johnson and Canadian Makana Henry along with newcomer Garrett Marino. Canadian Charbel Dabire was placed on the practice roster. The full list of moves is as follows: Added to practice roster
- Defensive back Christian Campbell;
- Defensive lineman Alain Cimankinda;
- Defensive lineman Charbel Dabire;
- Quarterback Mason Fine;
- Linebacker DeMarquis Gates;
- Offensive lineman Cameron Jefferson;
- Defensive lineman Anthony Lanier II;
- Offensive lineman Andrew Lauderdale;
- Wide receiver Ricardo Louis;
- Wide receiver Paul McRoberts;
- Running back Jamal Morrow;
- Wide receiver Kian Schaffer-Baker;
- Punter Ben Scruton;
- Linebacker Matthew Thomas;
- Defensive back Damon Webb
- Linebacker A.J. Allen;
- Offensive lineman Logan Bandy
- Defensive back Jeremy Clark;
- Offensive lineman Carter Comeau;
- Quarterback Tom Flacco;
- Offensive lineman Antonio Garcia;
- Defensive back Deiondre Hall;
- Defensive lineman Demetrius Harris;
- Wide receiver Carlos Henderson;
- Defensive back Jacob Janke;
- Defensive back Lorenzo Jerome;
- Wide receiver Charone Peake;
- Linebacker Michael Pinckney;
- Fullback David Savard;
- Wide receiver Randy Satterfield;
- Defensive lineman Sterling Shippy;
- Defensive back Michael Stevens;
- Wide receiver Jordan Suell;
- Defensive back DQ Thomas;
- Running back Ralph Webb
Simon Grant died in hospital of blunt force trauma after he was attacked with a baseball bat at Louisiana's Bar-B-Que Restaurant in La Ronge in 2017.
OTTAWA -- The federal government has reached a nearly $8-billion settlement with First Nations who launched a class-action lawsuit over the lack of clean, safe drinking water in their communities. Read More
An Indigenous-focused chamber of commerce says geography, connectivity and COVID-19 are affecting of Indigenous-owned businesses are recovering from the pandemic.
The chair of an Indigenous-focused chamber of commerce says geography, connectivity, and COVID-19 are affecting how Indigenous-owned businesses are recovering from the pandemic.
The SHA says people may have been exposed to COVID-19 at two locations in Swift Curent, Sask., on separate days last week.
The Friday, July 30, 2021, edition of Global News at 6 with Marney Blunt on Global Saskatoon.