Saskatchewan News

Team practice guidelines announced for Sask. minor hockey

CTV Regina - 1 hour 10 min ago
With the COVID-19 pandemic, there are no minor hokey league games allowed in Saskatchewan.

Sask. NDP leader blasts health minister as 'invisible and incompetent' over absence at COVID-19 briefings

CBC Saskatchewan - 1 hour 12 min ago
It's been a month since Saskatchewan Health Minister Jim Reiter has attended a COVID-19 news conference, prompting Reiter's main opponent in the legislature to question the minister's leadership. 
Categories: Saskatchewan News

Cohen’s book foreword: Trump ‘wouldn’t mind if I was dead’

News Talk 650 CKOM - 1 hour 19 min ago
NEW YORK - Michael Cohen's memoir about President Donald Trump will be released Sept. 8 by Skyhorse Publishing, which confirmed the news Thursday to The Associated Press. The book is called "Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump." "'Disloyal' is the most devastating business and political horror story of the century," according to a Skyhorse statement shared with the AP. "It is a story that you haven't read in newspapers, or on social media, or watched on television. These are accounts that only someone who worked for Trump around the clock for a decade - not a few months or even a couple of years - could know." Earlier in the day, Cohen had released the book's foreword, writing of his estranged former boss, "He wouldn't mind if I was dead." He did not list a publisher for the book and, as of midday Thursday, it was not listed on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com. Cohen is completing the last two years of a three-year prison sentence at home after pleading guilty to campaign finance charges and lying to Congress. He was released from prison in May amid coronavirus fears, only to be returned in July after making it known that he planned to publish "Disloyal." The U.S. government dropped its effort to silence Cohen late last month after an agreement was reached between government lawyers and Cohen attorney Danya Perry that lifted a ban on Cohen speaking publicly. Cohen's charges stemmed from his efforts to arrange payouts during the 2016 presidential race to keep the porn actress Stormy Daniels and model Karen McDougal from speaking out about their alleged extramarital affairs with Trump, who has denied the affairs. He has said that Trump directed him to make the payments. Skyhorse has a history of taking on books by controversial public figures, including a memoir this spring by Woody Allen that had been dropped by Hachette Book Group. Hillel Italie, The Associated Press

Coronavirus : U of R Green Patch Garden donating locally-grown food

Global Regina - 1 hour 39 min ago
"I have donated over 600 pounds of food and aiming to get to 2000 pounds by end of the season," RPIRG Green Patch Coordinator, Tayep Ahmed said.

Saskatchewan band councillor ousted from role flags potential charter infringement

Global Regina - 1 hour 46 min ago
A former band councillor for a Saskatchewan First Nation is questioning whether his charter rights were infringed upon after he was removed from office.

Clark increasingly believes Saskatoon needs to pursue mask policies if province doesn’t

Global Regina - 1 hour 48 min ago
Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark took to social media Thursday afternoon echoing calls from Regina Mayor Michael Fougere for consistent mask rules across the province.

Saskatchewan band councillor ousted from role flags potential charter infringement

Global Regina - 1 hour 49 min ago
Michael Linklater was ousted as councillor for Thunderchild First Nation because he doesn’t live on the reserve.

Armed robbery in Esterhazy, Sask., ends with man repeatedly ramming store with truck: RCMP

CBC Saskatchewan - 2 hours 1 min ago
RCMP are searching for two suspects after what began as an armed robbery in Esterhazy, Sask., ended with a pickup truck repeatedly ramming a gas station.
Categories: Saskatchewan News

Feds create task force to help get Canadians home after Beirut blast

News Talk 650 CKOM - 2 hours 4 min ago
OTTAWA - The federal government has set up a task force to help Canadian citizens and permanent residents get home from Lebanon following last week's devastating explosion in Beirut. The government says the task force will support the delivery of consular services to those in Lebanon to ensure that questions related to immigration can be quickly addressed. It will also allow Lebanese citizens in Canada to extend their stay here if they are unable to return home because of the deadly explosion. As well, the government says it will waive the cost of documents related both to the renewal of visitors' status in Canada and for Canadians and permanent residents in Lebanon who need to come home. The measures follow last week's announcement of $30 million in humanitarian and development assistance for the people of Lebanon. The blast, blamed on negligent storage of tonnes of ammonium nitrate, killed more than 200 people, injured thousands more and levelled large swaths of Beirut. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 13, 2020. The Canadian Press

Sask. teachers pushing for collective action on work refusal

Regina Leader-Post - 2 hours 5 min ago
Some Saskatchewan teachers are pressing for collective action to refuse working under what they fear are inadequate measures to prevent COVID-19 transmission in the classroom. Read More

Saskatchewan housing starts rebound from down year in 2019

Saskatoon StarPhoenix - 2 hours 10 min ago
Saskatchewan appears to be in the middle of a building boom, but context is important, according to the province's two largest home builders' associations. Read More

Virtual camp for Sask. blind or partially sighted kids a hit

CTV Regina - 2 hours 12 min ago
CNIB hasn’t let the COVID-19 pandemic stop it from hosting its annual Kid’s Camps this summer.

Man charged with assaulting 15-year-old in north end park pleads not guilty

Saskatoon StarPhoenix - 2 hours 12 min ago
A 40-year-old man charged in connection with an alleged race-based attack on a 15-year-old boy in a Saskatoon park has pleaded not guilty to assault. Read More

Regina city council ‘encourages’ residents to mask up

Global Regina - 2 hours 18 min ago
WATCH: Earlier this summer Regina rid itself of active COVID-19 cases. It’s since gone from zero to 40, making the city Saskatchewan’s current coronavirus hot spot. As Allison Bamford explains, city council is now pleading with the public to mask up.

Prosecutors dispute Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-girlfriend’s claims

News Talk 650 CKOM - 2 hours 25 min ago
NEW YORK - Prosecutors on Thursday disputed claims by lawyers for a British socialite that they are too slowly releasing evidence and improperly withholding the names of women who were abused by financier Jeffrey Epstein while they were children. In court papers, Manhattan prosecutors defended their handling of charges brought last month against Epstein's ex-girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell, while saying they are "deeply concerned" by the actions of Maxwell's lawyers. "To date, the defendant has yet to ask the Government a single substantive question" about evidence, prosecutors told U.S. District Judge Alison J. Nathan. "The Government is also prepared to engage in good faith discussions with the defence about an appropriate schedule for disclosure." Maxwell, 58, has pleaded not guilty to charges that she recruited three girls, including one who was 14, and joined Epstein in the abuse in the 1990s. Her lawyers said earlier this week in a letter to the judge that they can't properly investigate the charges against Maxwell because prosecutors won't tell them the identities of the three accusers. They also said Maxwell is being treated unfairly at a federal jail in Brooklyn, where "uniquely onerous conditions" are preventing her from adequately preparing for a trial scheduled for next July. Prosecutors say they are protecting the identities of sexual assault victims and are under no legal obligation to immediately identify them. The government said it has already given defence lawyers over 165,000 pages of evidence, including search warrant applications and subpoena returns, even though the deadline to turn over the material was still a week away. And they suggested defence lawyers could figure out the identities of the three accusers since the indictment lists relevant time periods and events and references Maxwell's conversations and interactions with victims, along with identifying where they occurred. They also expressed doubts about the ability of the defence lawyers to adhere to rules about secrecy of evidence prior to trial, saying they were "deeply concerned" by recent actions by Maxwell's lawyers. They said the defence had "publicly claimed in a civil filing that they purportedly had received 'critical new information' from the criminal case that it could not disclose" because of its secrecy agreement regarding evidence in the criminal case. Yet, prosecutors noted, Maxwell's lawyers also said publicly that they want to modify their secrecy agreement to use materials from the criminal case in the civil case. Prosecutors said the secrecy deal "expressly precludes" that. Larry Neumeister, The Associated Press

Saskatchewan seeks court order to remove teepee from legislature lawn

Global Regina - 2 hours 27 min ago
WATCH: The protest camp in Wascana Park will remain for at least a few more weeks. As Kayleen Sawatzky reports, a hearing to deal with the government’s court order has been adjourned into September.

Storms across southeastern Sask. drop tennis ball-sized hail

News Talk 650 CKOM - 2 hours 47 min ago
Severe storms across parts of southeastern Saskatchewan produced swift winds, massive hail and large amounts of rain Wednesday evening. Environment Canada issued a tornado warning late Wednesday afternoon near Francis, roughly 65 kilometres southeast of Regina. No tornadoes touched down, but Environment Canada meteorologist Kyle McAulay said there were plenty of reports of formidable-looking clouds. "We did have a report of a rotating wall cloud, and wall clouds do tend to produce tornadoes," he said. Hail the size of tennis balls landed in the Nut Mountain area. Environment Canada said 64 millimetres of rain fell by 9 a.m., while golf ball-sized hail was reported in Garrick along with quarter-sized hail in Lumsden and Grand Coulee. The most amount of rain fell in the Windhorst area. Up to 91 mm, more than 3 1/2 inches, fell in a 24-hour period there. For wind, the fastest peak gusts were reported in Broadview, where wind speeds reached 91 kilometres per hour. Darren Schmidt lives north of Southey, more than 180 kilometres northwest of Broadview. (Darren Schmidt/Submitted) Wind gusts at his property forced him into his basement as trees bent nearly in half and rain found its way into his house through older windows. "It was driving the rain through the older-style wooden windows," he said. "We had some water in our basement, we had some trees that came down in the property — on top of a bin — and another old building, the roof came right off and was set down beside it." Schmidt figures up to 10 old trees on his property were split in half due to the intense wind. Any progress at ongoing renovations on one of his buildings was wiped away as water penetrated the exposed wood. Other people in the area had similar problems. "There's been several grain bins in the area," he said. "It was flattening gardens and I guess some crops as well. "My neighbours, they figure their wheat crop is done." After living through plenty of summer Saskatchewan storms, Schmidt can say without a doubt that he has never experienced anything like Wednesday night. "I've never seen wind like that. It was like being hit with 100-pound pressure from a car wash," Schmidt said.

New court date set for provincial application to remove Walking With Our Angels camp

Regina Leader-Post - 3 hours 8 min ago
With an end date set for Tristen Durocher's occupation of a protest camp in Wascana Centre, lawyers for the province and the Provincial Capital Commission want a court decision on whether or not the camp has to move sooner rather than later. Read More

Local business waiting on power hook up to serve community

CTV Regina - 3 hours 13 min ago
Elle’s Café and Kitchen on 13 Avenue has been ready to open since July 1. The only hold up is the wait for phase three power from SaskPower.

Pandemic forces cancellation of Dog Day of Summer

News Talk 650 CKOM - 3 hours 14 min ago
Normally the end of the summer season is marked with dogs taking a dip in Mayfair outdoor pool-thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s cancelled. The City of Saskatoon announced the cancellation Thursday afternoon. “Mayfair outdoor pool has remained closed for the 2020 season and an alternative venue with the specific health and safety requirements for both people and pets needed to host the event was not available,” a news release said. Dog Day of Summer has welcomed service and therapy pups for a swim on the last day of the season at Mayfair since 2014. The city hopes the pool and event will be back in 2021.

Pages